LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ray.R

Select all text within the string indicator

I wish.. many times I wish.. that it was possible to select all text inside the string indicator.

Either right click and have "select all text" option or allow Ctrl-A for select all and it would select all the text instead of selecting all control objects on the front panel.

For the time being, for indicators that contain huge amounts of text, I write to a text file and then open it using Notepad.  But it's annoying.  I may not know ahead of time just how much text will appear and plan to simply highlight manually and then Ctrl-C onto TextPad.  When there's a huge amount of text, it is not practical to select everything manually and then it's the write to file function.  --- annoying ---

A simple feature:  "select all text" and my wishes would come true.

I do hope many of you reader agree that this is a needed feature.

14 Comments
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

Doesn't triple-clicking get the job done for you?

At any rate, it probably makes sense for all of the usual methods to work.

Ray.R
Knight of NI

euh... Oh boy..

Do you realize that I have never tried the triple click trick...

I'll get the moderator to kill this idea.. 

LOL!!

Thanks Darin (you deserve a kudos)

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I'll settle for a virtual cold one.....

Ray.R
Knight of NI

Here's a cold one:

elset191
Active Participant

While triple click works, what kind of a world are we living in where we can't press ctrl+a?!?

When I'm editing a text control, I likely have both hands on the keyboard.  This of course means I don't want to reach for my mouse to have to triple click when ctrl-a comes so naturally to me.  I use it all the time in other apps. 

This idea is in the same vein as having ctrl+b and ctrl-u, etc work when a string is actively being edited.  I vote for overriding whatever the main action is in labview, whenever a string is being edited.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Laura F.
Active Participant

Ok - Ray requested that I delete this idea.  Tim - did you want to post your idea (if not already posted) as a new idea?

elset191
Active Participant

@Laura wrote:
Ok - Ray requested that I delete this idea.  Tim - did you want to post your idea (if not already posted) as a new idea?

The one I referenced (re: ctrl+b and ctrl-u) was posted here by Jim Kring.  I'll go over there and add a comment that ctrl-a should also be considered.

EDIT: I guess Jim's idea was actually a duplicate...

I think this is a legitimate idea, but I'll leave it up to Ray to decide to delete it or not.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Ray.R
Knight of NI

Well, I'm with Tim on this one.

For some reason, the triple click did not come naturally for me either.  Working on Unix, one does not natually click the mouse as Windows users would, and the brain does not make the rapid transition.

It is still a feature that I would like to see, so let's leave it.  We'll see how many others think it's a good idea and if enough think it is, then maybe we'll see it in the future.

So let's not delete the thread.

Thanks Tim.

🙂

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

Well if it stays then I will definitely vote for it.  I thought my kudo would be heading towards the luminiferous ether.  As I said before, no reason for an exception to the normal behavior here.

TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

What is stopping you for rolling out your own custom XControl?

NI specially developed XControls for these use cases, you could add your own special features like <ctrl-B> (bold) and <ctrl-I> (italic).

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!