LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
kosist90

Search Result window put on top

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

It would be nice, if the Search Result window for the VI items (property nodes, VIs, indicators/controls) would be possible to put on the top view. Because, if there are many VIs opened, and user double-clicks on the item in the Search Result view window, focus is switched to the VI, which contains found item; and Search Result window is folded to task bar. It's quite annoying, especially when you have many items in the list, and you need to find some in some particular place in the code - you need to double click, verify searched item, find Search Result window in the list of opened VIs in the task bar tray, open it, and select another found item, etc.

In case, when Search Result window can be pinned to top view, it would be very user-friendly - user double clicks on the found items, he sees, where it is located on the block diagram, but he also sees at the same time all others found items, and he can directly go to the next found item in the list.

5 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Regardless of whether or not it's desirable to have the search results window floating, there are a couple of things you can do today:

1. Move it to a different monitor (assuming you have more than one). I do this occasionally if I want to go through many results.
  2. Use Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G, which allow you to move to the next and last result. I use this all the time.

Yeah, exactly - currently I'm using the 1st solution. And the 2nd option - this is awesome, thank you! I didn't know about this shortcut...

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

After you've been using LV for a while, it can be really beneficial to go through the quick reference card (<LabVIEW>\manuals\LV_Quick_Reference.pdf), because it has a lot of useful shortcuts like this.

Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

'Reopened' here:

"Always On Top" option for Search Results window - NI Community

4 kudos in a day... Let's see where it goes.