From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregFreeman

Search Code Comments within VIs

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I don't know if this has already been posted but I didn't see it when searching. I'd love to be able to search Vis in a project for text such as comments and see which VI it was found in. Often I will initial something I worked on, or leave tags to remember to go back and fix or modify something, but can't remember which VI I left it in. With text based languages this is obviously easy, you can just do a grep on linux or a search on windows. It would be nice to do with LabVIEW though. If there is already a way to do this, let me know cuz I could definitely use it!
4 Comments
jlokanis
Active Participant
The Find will already do this.  But, I don't think you can have it search ONLY comments.  So, if you name a control or indicator with your initials, it will find that too.
-John
------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Marc Blumentritt

It does this only for searching in VIs. I think for(imstuck) means to search inside the project and all of its objects for text inside of comments. At least in LV8.5 this is not possible.

I suggest to add a new option to "find" for search in project objects, with or without dependencies.

CLD
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast
Until LabVIEW does this automatically, you can use scripting to do it.  Here's one possible implementation that will recursively search a directory and highlight each free label containing the text you're searching for.

Find Comment in Folder_BD.png
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.