From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Dude_Man

Schematic Capture

Functionality already available in LabVIEW. Zoom is a duplicate idea (http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-a-zoom-function-yes-I-said-zoom-So-sue-me/idi-p/91...
The Block Diagram should look more like a schematic capture tool.  It should have the ability to zoom in and out and pan.  Users should be able to draw their own Vis like ICs in a schematic capture program.  Parts and wires should be drawn on a grid.
6 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Add a zoom function (yes, I said zoom. So sue me)  Already been suggested.

Block diagrams do have grids you can turn on.  Look under Tools/Options/Block Diagram

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

To enable the grid, hit CTRL+SHIFT+3 (You can remember it's CTRL+#, a trick I read from Darren that I still remember since it's so intuitive, or check out LabVIEW Quick Reference Card).

To pan, open up "View > Tools Palette" and select the Scrolling Tool.

Draw your own VI's? You can edit the icon of a subVI to be any shape, as long as it fits into the 32x32px region. To make a smaller, non-rectangular shape, ensure that all pixels outside of your shape are white, which the IDE will recognize as "transparent".

As for zoom, that's a feature that customers/NI have been tug-of-warring over forever. tst has a "controversial" and pretty popular suggestion that was posted on the second day after the Idea Exchange went public.

Could you post a picture of your ideas of what LabVIEW should look like? Posts with illustrations typically get better community support.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
:::Edit::: Didn't read about CTRL+SHIFT+3 from a nugget, read about it from Aristos Queue while trying to fix one of my Unicode tangents.
Dude_Man
I can turn the grid on, but the wires and parts do not snap to the grid.  You would have to be familiar with a schematic capture tool to see the diffrence.  I think the block diagram would work better if it worked more like a schematic capture tool.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Go to Tools > Options > Alignment Grid and make sure both "Show Block Diagram Grid" and "Enable Diagram Grid Alignment" are checked. Your "parts" should now snap to grid. Wires do not, however. I personally prefer all of my "parts" to snap to a 1px grid.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Functionality already available in LabVIEW. Zoom is a duplicate idea (http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-a-zoom-function-yes-I-said-zoom-So-sue-me/idi-p/91...