From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parthabe

Save for Previous Version should not list the current LabVIEW version

Current LV version should not be listed here! Many a time, this has confused me & even made me think that I'm already one version ahead of time.

Save for Previous Version - Has Current Version.jpg

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
9 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

We include that deliberately because we have gotten the exact opposite feedback from some users -- they expect a list of all the versions and need to count backwards one or two or N. It's meant to help orient you.

Given that these are exactly opposite requests, I don't think there's a way to accomodate both positions.

Mads
Active Participant

I've gotten used to use this as a shortcut to do a save of the full hierarchy...(perhaps I'm not alone...(?)).

I could still use it like that of course even if the current version was removed, but then it would require an upconversion afterwards, and introduce possible backwards compatibility issues.

elset191
Active Participant

@Mads wrote:

I've gotten used to use this as a shortcut to do a save of the full hierarchy...(perhaps I'm not alone...(?)).

I've done that on more than a few occasions as well.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

Mads, what did you mean by "upconversion afterwards"?

elset191
Active Participant

@parthabe wrote:

Mads, what did you mean by "upconversion afterwards"?

If you Save for Previous with the purpose of simply duplicating the entire hierarchy like he explained (as opposed to actually watnting to use the copy in the previous version), then when you open that hierarchy in the original version it needs to Upconvert from the previous version it was just saved for. 

Having the current version in the Save for Previous list eliminates the need for the upconversion when using the tool to duplicate the hierarchy.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Mythilt

Perhaps putting a (Current Version) next to the first item on the drop down menu as a reminder?  That said, I agree it should be there.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
Gregory
Trusted Enthusiast

I like having the current version for the reason Mads said. Even if you have some code in a re-use library or in instr.lib, it will save it all with the proper hierarchy and you can run it on a different computer easily.

PalanivelThiruvenkadam
Active Participant

By Default the check mark points to Version Prior to existing version, so it will avoid the confusSmiley Happyion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

PalanivelT - "By Default the check mark points to Version Prior to existing version, so it will avoid the confusSmiley Happyion"

I myself thought about this just after posting, and so expected this as the first reply, but none did so! Smiley Wink