From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeifS

Save compiled VI in separate file

Available in NI LabVIEW 2010

Most SCC systems expects the source files to only contain source, and not (as in LabVIEW) both the source and compiled code.

This means that most SCC system flags the sourcecode file (i.e the VI) as changed whenever a recompile is performed and saved.

Since LabVIEW wants to recompile the VI's very frequently regardless of real sourcecode changes, it would be better to split the VI into two files, one containig only the sourcecode and another containing the compiled code.

This way we could configure the SCC system as with other languages to ignore the compiled files and only handle REAL source changes.

Note that the flag "Don't save automatic compiles" only helps for readonly-flagged  files, which isn't enough when when working in SCC systems that doesn't use locking

5 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I agree in priniciple that there needs to be a way not to introduce changes to the binary files which you haven't changed directly, but I don't think this is necessarily it. Having the machine code in the same file as the source is very convenient when transferring files (although not having it will probably also make it convenient, since you can opt to have a smaller file size to transfer).

That said, I have seen people from NI say that they're working on a way to decrease the number of automatic recompiles, so hopefully that will solve most of this issue.

I'm voting for this mainly because the issue needs to be resolved, not because I necessarily agree with the proposed solution.

LeifS: NI has been aware of this challenge for quite some time and has said that they are working to improve things.  You should sign up for the LabVIEW 2010 beta (once it's announced) and see if they've made any progress 😉
Rob_Calhoun

This feature shipped in LV 2010. 🙂

Todd S.
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed
Shipped with LabVIEW 2010
Todd S.
LabVIEW Community Manager
National Instruments
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed