From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YavannaKementári

Resize or Change View of Probed Data

Available in LabVIEW 2015 and later

For example, when you probe an array, the "Probe Display" only shows the first value of the array. A lot of times, I would like to see a few elements in the array, somewhat like resizing arrays on the front panel. This would be useful for strings, numerics, and clusters as well.

Current:

untitled.PNG

Suggested:

Suggested.png

12 Comments
SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Kudos. This is not a duplicate but similarly all windows should be resizable.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

YavannaKementári

I kudo'ed your idea as well Steve Chandler. I heartily agree, all windows should be re-sizable, and the find missing items window is a particular annoyance.

David_L
Active Participant

I like the idea, especially with the array use case.  I worry that it will be difficult to implement since I imagine that these are just LabVIEW VIs in which you can't really resize an array while running. However I have faith that the LabVIEW developers are actually wizards and could make it happen 😄

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

David, the number of elements shown can be changed at runtime. This would add a row. Changing the size of the indicators is a different story which is probably what you are talking about Smiley Happy

[Edit: There is a method to fit a control to the panel. Maybe putting this in a subpanel would let you programatically resize? Something for me to play with over the weekend!] 

array_BD.png

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This is a good idea. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure there's a useful workaround: If you create a custom probe, I *believe* that if you set the control to "Scale with panel", that it will scale up when viewed in the probe watch window. Doesn't work for the generic probes, but I'm pretty sure that's a feature of the custom probes. Someone will have to double check my memory.

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

> Someone will have to double check my memory.

It does work.  

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

>I *believe* that if you set the control to "Scale with panel", that it will scale up when viewed in the probe watch window.

BTW, one can also use this technique when building probes that, rather than just display the last value on the wire, display the last X values in a table or array.  On first call to the probe, use the property "Number of Rows" to determine the number of visible rows/elements, then use that value for "X".  Thus the number of elements retained for display will adjust with the size of the probe window.

-- James

YavannaKementári

Aristos - That is true, you can work around it with custom probes. It just seems silly not to have this functionality as default; particularly to be able to change the view on the fly.

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast
Perhaps that is why he voted for this 😉
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

FraggerFox
Active Participant

Kudos - Saves time to make custom probes if this functionality is there by default.

Maybe it could be with an option of adding vertical/horizontal scrollbar too.

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"