From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mads

Remove bookmark name in bookmark text if already grouped by bookmark name

An image explains this best:

stripbookmarkname from bookmark text.PNG

Removing the bookmark from the text when it is already displayed as the group name will reduce the level of information noise in the bookmark manager, and make it easier to read the bookmarks.

2 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

You are doing something in your that I haven't done in mine.  You seem to put a return after the hashtag and before the actual comment.  That makes it look like twice the lines.  In my comments,  I just go from hashtag to a space to a comment and it doesn't take up as much space as your screenshot.

Actually, the hashtag does not have to be at the beginning of the comment.  It can be in the middle or the end and it will still be recognized as a bookmark.  I don't have a reason to put in either of those locations.  But if someone did, how would you want your idea to handle that situation?

You can put multiple hashtags in same comment.  It will list the comment multiple times.  There might be valid reasons for that.  Perhaps if you used programmer names and you wanted multiple people to be able to search for comments tagged to them.  In which case I would want to see the hashtags as part of the comment because it is useful information as to what other tags were created as bookmarks in a given comment.

Mads
Active Participant

Funny, I've just gotten so used to bookmarking this way since the bookmarking function got introduced in LabVIEW that I've never since even tried to to it the way I do tagging in other applications. Perhaps I had a problem getting the tagging to work properly early on, and just stuck with what I found worked.

With the tag position and number of tags variable this idea is almost dead....I say almost though because even with this in mind the function could reduce noise depending on how the tagging was done. If there is one single tag at the front - I would still prefer the tag not to be shown underneath repeatedly the heading.