LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TroyK

Remember user selected window position and size

When using a program we all expect the UI to be resizable and to remember it's size and position.

Graham Beauregard made and excellent blog post in the UI Interest Group about Resizable UI’s in LabVIEW.

That helps to address how to make your front panel resizable...BUT...

It's a pain storing the size and position and restoring it as soon as the application starts without the user seeing it jump and resize.

Unless there's a better method that I'm not aware of, you have to store the size and position in a config file somewhere, then read the file and apply the settings on start up.

If you don't want the user to see the front panel jump and resize you have to have the front panel start hidden, then move and resize, then display.

How much better it would be if there were a couple of checkboxes in the VI properties dialog to do that automatically for you.

RememberScreenSize.PNG

RememberScreenPos.PNG

From what I'm led to believe...".Net has an application settings system which handles this stuff automatically". Why not LabVIEW?

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
3 Comments
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Excellent Idea Troy, thanks.

re: "Unless there's a better method that I'm not aware of, you have to store the size and position in a config file somewhere, then read the file and apply the settings on start up"

I like to use RiteSize.vi (by kDy automation) or the OpenG version Size To Largest Decoration, etc. However, it'd be nice to not need these, which your Idea helps to solve.

Richard

altenbach
Knight of NI

An alternative solution is in my old idea posted here. it seems somewhat popular. 😄

TroyK
Active Participant

@altenbach

Yours is certainly a neat idea, but I think it addresses a different issue to my suggestion.

I want a compiled VI front panel to automatically remember the size and position the user last arranged.

Although I think if NI was going to implement one or the other they may as well do both. Smiley Wink

It's interesting that your suggestion is three years old but still listed as "New".

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument