LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parthabe

Relative Pallette Selection (show-up from context menu) should be (made) more intelligent!

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

See the snapshot for a visual clue.

Most often we need to browse to the palette of the base data type (in this case Bool, and not only the datatype of the wire (Array)), to search/insert/replace a function while coding. Here I wanted to bring the And Array Elements function from the Boolean palette by clicking the Equal To function's output, but it gives me an option only to the Comparison & Array palettes. I'd prefer the Boolean palette to be shown up in the options. 🙂

This suggestion should be considered in a very generic & more inclusive manner for all the use cases.

P.S.:- I did not see any option for BD category, so labeling under UI & Usability (since the BD is an User Interface for me as an App Developer using LabVIEW. 🙂 )

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
16 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Duplicate: Replace/Insert/etc context menu should show palette for wire element type as well as Array Palette

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

Doesn't the search work for Idea Exchange, unlike stated in the Announcements?! Smiley Indifferent

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Don't get us started on how horrible the search engine is.  It took me a few tries to finally find that one.  I just knew it was somewhere out there.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This is a feature that I implemented when I first did the source palettes and generally people didn't like the clutter it added to the popup menus. The feedback I got was that nodes that can operate on the subtype directly are pretty rare, rare enough that the palette for the subdata type is almost never useful. The major notable exception is numerics and booleans (and clusters of those), where many of the primitive functions are polymorphic to work on both scalars and vectors. But the general case seemed like a bad idea. At the time (~12 years ago), I didn't add any special case for those two types. Do you think that was a mistake? Or should the fact that users don't generally want the submenu guide all the types, including numeric and boolean, as it does today?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Ah... this is a dupe... I missed that note. Thanks, crossrulz, for finding that.

Darren
Proven Zealot
parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

Just curious.. Isn't Jim's idea a duplicate of Christian's (based on the date of posting)? Smiley Indifferent  The only additional thing is the Insert function. 🙂

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Which idea of Christian's are you looking at?  I see Christian making a comment to Jim's idea to which Jim replied.  Is that what you are referring to?

GCentral
parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

I was not looking at (nor referring to) Christian's idea directly. Read the link you posted, where Jim refers to Christian's idea as "related". So, IMO, Jim's idea is a duplicate of Christian's.

If you are still not clear, read the link you posted from the beginning, not just from the comments section.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

They aren't really duplicates.  They are different in what they are asking for.  They are related, but not duplicates.

GCentral