LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
SerjsVIEW

Quick Drop Improvement of CTRL-I using auto-rewire of selected terminals

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

Quick Drop (QD) is a gift to me and I love to use it.

Recently I have come across an issue that would speed up my development by a simple improvement of the QD "insert" function (CTRL-I).

screen-shot.PNG

As you can see in the image inserted above, I have indicated two options: [1] and [2] which each have two circles that indicate the wires/terminals I need to select in order to use QDs insert function.

Currently only option [1] works which, usually helps when the wire continues through the VI but in case [2] the wire ends inside the VI and I need to manually reconnect the terminal to the inserted VI.

My proposal:

Allow quickdrop insert (CTRL-I) to also consider selected terminals and wires exiting VIs which are selected and consider this in the quick drop commands which wires the corresponding wire to the VI inserted.

Also allow multiple selections to be considered.

e.g.: in the image above "Msg to Host" also has a wire exiting it, I would like to:

1.  select this wire, selecte the error wire and the Self-enqueuer that exits
  2.  CTRL-Space for QD
  3.  Type VI name
  4.  CTRL-I to insert
  5. VI and all wires going from VI exits or terminals are happily connected to the inserted VI
"Anything can be done if you only think about it hard enough..."
"... truth is a lie in disguise!"
7 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

This already exists.

Use Ctrl-Shift-I when doing the insert.

SerjsVIEW

@SerjsVIEW wrote:

e.g.: in the image above "Msg to Host" also has a wire exiting it, I would like to:

1.  select this wire, selecte the error wire and the Self-enqueuer that exits
  2.  CTRL-Space for QD
  3.  Type VI name
  4.  CTRL-I to insert

I'm sorry,what I meant above in step 4 is CTRL-shift-V to insert.

CTRL-SHIFT-I inserts an in-place element structure...

plus: the selection of wire-origins exiting a VI (that are not connected to anything yet) is not possible yet.

In a second step a rewire of all unwired terminals in the selection is currently possible but this does not rewire all selected terminals, merely those which would be connected with an error wire.

elset191
Active Participant

Can you post a picture of what you want the end result to be? It is not clear to me from your description.

Edit: Maybe you mean something like this, since it seems the shift modifier doesn't seem to be what you are talking about

Untitled.png

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
SerjsVIEW

Exactly, except I need this functionallity for multiple VI "exits"

Here is another attempt:

wish.PNG

Currently it is possible to select two existing wires, press <CTRL-SPACE>, type the VIs name and press <CTRL-SHIFT-V> to insert the VI with the terminals connected to the selected wires, so far a great thing, but:

I would like to be able to select the VI "exits"(indicated by the two circles) and/or the wires I need for inserting the VI and do the same action as described above as depicted in my image.

The benefit being that I can insert VIs which are sinks for the data wires with one quick drop comand.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

I don't see the benefit of that over making the wiring connection after the VI is dropped.

I do see a benefit for the "Insert into Wire" functionality that exists now because breaking existing wires to drop in a new subVI and wiring it up is a pain.

SerjsVIEW

The benefit is identical to the benefit of the "Insert into Wire" functionality, as you already pointed out yourself in your second sentence, a reduction of teadious wirings.

No matter if I connect the wires manually, or if the proposed functionallity auto-wires all connections, for a clean VI in professional development I allways need to rearrange the VIs and wires in the final step.

This new feature could be seen as an extension of the existing functionallty, adding to its merit by reducing the necessity to manually establish obvious connections.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.