LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
needinfo

Provide method to delete plot names from all graphs, charts, etc.

Currently on waveform graph, once a plot is named it cannot be deleted (it can be made blank, but it still shows in all pull downs).  For instance I plot 3 graphs, each having 16 plots.  I then refresh data and plot only on graph of 11 plots.  My new plot names show in the top of the pull downs, but all the previous plot names still show up as well (see attached screen shots).

Please expose a method to remove plot names (property to give array of existing names and property to remove name or all names).

18 Comments
Aaron_KZ

I agree!

I will sometimes copy a graph or chart (they both have the same issue) from project to project while building a UI, but most systems will have a different number of plots.  I think 2 features should be added.  Add a "Remove Plot" button in the properties dialog (in the Plots tab), and add the ability to delete plots from the end as the plot legend is contracted (plots are automatically added to the pull-down menu when the legend is expanded).

Jim__S

clear plot names

Nicholas_Herrick

I've been having this same problem. I eventually changed all my property nodes over to referenced nodes so I could delete the graph and make a new one without too much trouble.

A property node that deletes existing plot definitions would be nice. Also the option to manually delete plots in the properties dialog would help.

timtamslam
Active Participant

I was recently made aware of the Legend Plot Minimum property. It seems to give some pretty helpful functionality for taming your Plot/Cursor Legends.

Setting the Number of Plots in a Plot Legend

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvhowto/pl_number/

Try out the following code as an example. 

blockdiagram.png

frontpanel.png

Hope this helps!

Tim A.
altenbach
Knight of NI
prprasad200

Please please fix this...

ErikL68

I'd be happy if I could just get the Legend decoration width to stop changing when I show or hide the vertical scrollbar.  I have the legend on the left in my design, but even if it were on the right, I wouldn't want the space shrunk down just because the scrollbar is turned off.  Then I can control what plots users can see by setting existing parameters, without leaving a gap between the Legend and Plot Area.

Ideally, when the vertical scroll bar is hidden, the legend text area would grow in width to take advantage of that space, but I've tried that programatically, and widening the legend simply increases the size of the plot line/color selector rectangle.  Worse, reading the Width parameter of the legend gives a very different number than what you write to that same parameter.

However, if LV is keeping extra plot info, is it also a potential memory waste?  If so then definitely add the "delete plot" function and make it accessible programmatically!

Scrollbar Present.pngScrollbar removed.png

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

This is a serious enough issue to be called a bug in LabVIEW.   It needs to be fixed.

fg-kup

The issue includes Mixed Signal Graphs by the way, and with them, the workaround with the Legend.PlotMinimum property doesn't work because the property is not available for MSGs (LabVIEW 17.0f2).

PrM3

In current LV 2018, runtime "Clear Graph" or programmatic "Reinit to Default" will clear data but not legend text.  I consider this to be a "bug", agreeing with drjdpowell.  Clearing graphical data should also clear associated legend text.