LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intaris

Project path visible in the Title Bar

We have a software product where we have started working with branches and sometimes have a few different versions of the repository checked out for code implementation / testing / exploration.

It happens that I have two (or even more) versions of projects with the same name open at a time from different paths.  Currently I switch to files view and back to check which version I am currently looking at and I just thought it would nbe nice to see the path of the project file int he title bar of the project window.

I know I can right.click the project, I know there are other ways to get this information but can't we have a simple indication as to the path at least SOMEWHERE in the project window?

7 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Like this?

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 10.59.25.png

PaulG.
Active Participant

I can't tell you how many times I need to quickly know the path of a vi I'm working on. My workaround is  usually "save as" then back out of it. Clunky as hell. Kudos.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
elset191
Active Participant

When I need the path of a VI I'm working in, I hit Ctrl+I to get the properties on the General tab.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
fabric
Active Participant

I'd like to see the path in the title bar as suggested but ONLY if there is ambiguity. If there are no name conflicts then I prefer to just see the name.

(The GSW does something similar when it encounters multiple files with the same name.)

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

There is something you can do today - go to the Project menu and check the Show Item Paths item. This will add a path column to the project tree. This probably won't help as much as you will like, but it does show the path "SOMEWHERE in the project window".

If you're feeling adventurous, you could also try writing a project provider or a VI you invoke from the tools menu which will find and modify the title of the current project window to reflect the path. I'm not sure if all the parts to do this are exposed, and I probably wouldn't do this myself, as I don't know how reliant LV is on the window name (probably not, but you can't know). LV might also try to fight with you and reset the name occasionally (let's say to add the dirty dot when a change is made).

I like fabric's idea of showing extra info only if there are projects of the same name in memory.

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

I use a modified quick drop command.  My version opens an explorer to the file, or copies the file path to the clipboard if you use the shift modifier.