LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

Project Explorer: Hovering over a Virtual Folder during Drag & Drop should open that folder

In the project explorer, dragging an item into a folder opens that folder AFTER the drop. This is annoying. But I digress...

In fact, what would be useful is to have the behavior of the two file explorers I am familiar with (Windows and Mac OS), that is:

- if an object is drop onto a folder icon, the folder does not open (see link above)

- if the object is held for a while over the folder icon, the folder opens

This is particularly helpful if the project explorer has a hierarchical structure of Virtual Folders:

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 10.44.15.png

If I drag Untitled 1.vi over the Action folder and hold it here for ever, nothing happens, and in particular, I can't access any of the the subfolders.

After dropping it, I get this:

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 10.44.40.png

Now the top folder is open, but the VI is nowhere where I want it to be and I need to repeat the drag & drop action.

This example doesn't do justice to the real issue which is that for large lists of VIs and folders in a project, this becomes a real problem, as VI and target folders (after everything is opened to provide a clear path from original to target destination) may end up separated by large amount of space in the project explorer and you now have to use the temperamental "Drag the object over the 1-pixel wide location at the top of the project explorer to trigger scrolling" feature in order to slowly bring the object to its remote destination.

4 Comments
Mads
Active Participant

"- if the object is held for a while over the folder icon, the folder opens"

Is this not what is known as "spring loaded folders" on the Mac? I have not seen that available on Windows (?), but it would have been a nice feature to have yes.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Windows explorer also does this.

Mads
Active Participant

Ah, Windows explorer does it in the tree yes. The Mac has the same effect everywhere, even when you need it the most (i.e. when you do not have access to the tree already).

PaulG.
Active Participant

I always give a kudo to an idea that makes projects easier to work with. Smiley Happy

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.