LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregFreeman

Project: Auto Update Remote Device IP By Alias

You can type in the device's name in the IP Address / DNS Name field.

Most of the time, I put remote devices on our internal network. If I set up the device so the IP Address is dynamically assigned, the IP often changes. But, the project needs me to point to a device via specific IP address. If the IP Address changes, I constantly have to update the remote devices properties in my project, often times not realizing this is even an issue until a deployment fails because the device can't be found.

I'm proposing an idea to link to a devices' alias (or some unique ID other than IP) and allow the project to automagically update the IP Address.

5 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

It has worked for me for years.

Although recently I came across an issue.  Our IT dept. decided to change the DNS server.  Now my compact Fieldpoints still get an IP address dynamically assigned, the name is not registered in the DNS server anymore, so referring to it by name breaks unless I add the address to my local HOSTS file.  After making this "upgrade", they found they have a problem as well using an IP security camera that doesn't register its name on the network anymore, so calling up its webpage by name is now broken.  My cFP's and that security camera can no longer be pinged by name even though they can be pinged by IP address.

So if you can ping your device by name, then you can enter the name in the IP Address/DNS Name field.

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast

Oh man, is this documented somewhere, or does this fall under common knowledge? I don't know why I never bothered to try!

RavensFan
Knight of NI

You just should have known this!Smiley Wink

I don't think it is really documented anywhere.  I came across this years ago when IP addresses were changing frequently on my compact Fieldpoints.  Finding the device on the network always put in the IP address by default and would show up just like your screenshot.  After editing that IP address a few times, I though it would be better if LabVIEW would know it by name.  Then when I read the field and saw that it says "DNS Name", it clicked in my head and I typed in the name and found it just worked.

Beyond the label of that field, I don't think it is explicitly documented anywhere else.

GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast

Oh dear....I didn't even notice it said DNS name right there...Smiley Mad

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Already Implemented