Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Vaibhav

Programmatically Set Free Label Texts

Functionality already in LabVIEW

Hi,

This is my first thread in the Idea exchange. The other "demands" are already put by others so didn't need to start a thread. I don't know if there is already a thread with this subject. My brief search didn't show any results.

Well, I have come across this requirement, and I am sure many of you must have in the past.

I think it would be nice to have "free labels" on the front panel whose text values can be set programmatically.

There are labels which come with a 3D frame by default, and there are free labels without these 3D "raised" background. But these cannot be set programmatically.

I know, we can customize the String Indicators, and make them transparent etc, and remove their borders also, so they appear like label, yet with properties.

But, like many other demands here, I guess this one would be good too, to have shipped with the next LabVIEW. This will reduce unnecessary burdern of controls, if I have many instances of this object on my FP.

Looking forward to comments.

Vaibhav
5 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI
I agree that this feature is needed.  I don't think it even needs to be a new type of object.  Perhaps just another version of a string control that is available in the front panel palette that has all of these properties already set.
Vaibhav
Active Participant

Perhaps just another version of a string control...

That's it. No matter how we look at it, a new type of object or another version of an existing object (which is already a new object), it is a good tool missing in our FP set of weapons.

Thanks for showing support! Perhaps Kudos will be helpful too. 😉

Message Edited by Vaibhav on 09-26-2009 02:37 AM
Vaibhav
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
This virtually is shipped with LabVIEW. I don't have LabVIEW on this computer, but go to the Classic Controls pallette and look for something called a "flat string" or "plain string" or something like that (it has no 3D border, but only a black 1px border with a white foreground). Then, on the tools pallette, select transparent-transparent for the color dropper and you've got what you want. No need to even go into Customize Control.
Vaibhav
Active Participant

How can I give you Kudos Jack?

Thanks a lot.

Needed to explore a bit more. I didn't use Classic controls much, because of their "Classic" looks. And couldn't guess that they have something "more" than a different looks also.

The string control is called "Simple String" which is exactly what I wanted (after setting the background Transparent) and also there is "Simple Numeric" which is also I need.

Vaibhav
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Functionality already in LabVIEW