LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magicbean

Probes should reset to 'Not Executed' on Run

Probes are useful for seeing when a piece of code has executed for the first time after clicking 'run' as well as to see real-time values on wires.

Currently probes retain their values when the top VI stops, which is useful, but less usefully, keep their values indefinitely, even when the VI is restarted.

I'd like them to reset to 'Not Executed' when you click 'Run' again, otherwise I have to delete and recreate each probe in order so that I can tell when they have executed for the first time (unlike the lightbulb which slows everything down, breakpoints which pause the code or adding indicators which may not be convenient on a front panel (and require initialisation code)).

If this could be implemented (or could be an option for all probes or for any individually by right-clicking on them) I would find it really useful!

17 Comments
elset191
Active Participant

Similar: Reinitialize Probes

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
johnsold
Knight of NI

The Last Update column contains timestamps which can provide an indication of when a particular probe last executed.  It is (in)conveniently mostly hidden in the default probe window size.

I do not see a strong need for this idea. If it is implemented, the current functionality should be available as an option.

Lynn

elset191
Active Participant

Speaking of Last Update... Show Milliseconds

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
magicbean

@johnsold - although the Last Update column can be used, it isn't visually 'obvious' when you're watching a lot of stuff. I trhink that this idea would be pretty simple to implement and provide a much clearer indication of when the code was first executed after 'run'. The real point is that it would be much clearer NOT to have the old values hanging over from the previous execution.

But I'd certainly be happy with it as an option.

dthor
Active Participant

I don't know if I'm for this Idea. There are times when I actually want the previous run's value to be kept so that I can compare its value to the current run's value. Perhaps on the 1st run I use program option A and the 2nd I use program option B.

And yet other times, I glance at the probes and wonder why a value is listed even when it shouldn't have been run.

So I'm torn. Both clearing values and keeping values have their usage cases and I can't tell which I use more often. I guess I'm going to stick with the status quo for now. No kudos from me (unless you convince me otherwise).

magicbean

@dthor: In my original post above, I say that it could be an option. Given that, why would anyone not want the option to have the probes automatically reset to 'Not Executed' on run? You could always choose not to for one or all of the probes.

My personal preference would be to have a checkbox entry in the preferences (Tools > Options... > Environment > Debugging) for probes to be cleared on run (this sets the default behaviour) and then a right-click on individual probes if the user requires non-default behaviour for that one.

That way, users who want the status quo can leave the default option set to 'Don't reset probes on run', those who want the feature can change the default to 'Reset probes on run'. and any individual probes can have thier behaviour set differently if required.

As you say, a quick glance at probes is often a useful indicator that code is executing (or not) to plan. Making it easier to spot seems to be obviously beneficial.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

I would prefer a checkbox in the probe window for turning this feature on and off, or simply give us a button to clear the probe information so that before we run we can do this manually.

magicbean

@Intaris: A checkbox for each probe would suit me (although it permanently takes up a bit more window area). I'd still like to be able to set the overall default for whether probes in general were cleared or not on run, and not have to keep setting it for every probe.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

I would then suggest a button at the top of the probe watch window for this.  I wouldn't make this a system setting.

fabric
Active Participant

@Intaris wrote:

I would then suggest a button at the top of the probe watch window for this.  I wouldn't make this a system setting.

Agreed. Just a simple button to reset all probes at once would be perfect.