LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kegghead

Preserve plot area upon scale change for charts and graphs

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Currently if the scale of a plot is changed and the space required to render the scale changes, the plot area in the graph or chart is alterted to accomidate the bounds of the control. This can be problematic if using multiple charts/graphs and you want them to have the same size plot area with aligned axes. Currently you need to do some calculations to resize and reposition the controls whenever the scale changes.

plot area.png

How about an alternative layout option to keep plot areas constant, and instead grow the scales into the padding area of the control, even clipping them if necessary? I imagine this option could easily be set via the control's context menu and/or properties dialog.

7 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

right-click...advanced...uncheck "auto adjust scales".

kegghead

/facepalm

Don't mind me, I said nothing...

elset191
Active Participant

@atlenbach wrote:

right-click...advanced...uncheck "auto adjust scales".

That's news to me too.  Kudos

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
pbisson

I have a similar problem. I have a XY chart with a left and right scale. I need to turn the scales on/off as the user selects or de-selects 0, 1, or 2 data streams to plot. However, if I turn off a scale, then turn it back on again, the plotting area seems to migrate slowly outward (left for the left scale and right for the right scale). After turning a scale on/off a couple of times, the axis title and scale get clipped at the edge of the control, but the plot area actually extends beyond the edge of the control. This cannot be done at design time. It seems to be something that LabVIEW is doing.

Turning on/off "auto adjust scales" doesn't seem to work for me. When I turn off "auto adjust scales" the migration stops, but the scale seems to be 'underneath' the plot area. I can see the scale in a kind of ghost image, so I know it's there, but just misplaced. If I turn on "auto adjust scales", the scale appears outside the plotting area, but this odd migration behavior returns.

I suppose I could simply re-specify the plotting area each time I turn on/off a scale, but that doesn't seem right to me.

I've been coding with LabVIEW for many years, but this migration thing is some pretty odd behavior. Does anyone have any ideas besides the "auto adjust scales" solution? Thanks in advance for any help given.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

@pbisson: this is a bug. I have never had a chance to document it but I am pretty sure I have experienced the problem you describe (or a very similar one). Once you have described the bug in a separate thread - in the LabVIEW forum, assuming it hasn't be reported yet, please link to it here.

kegghead

I suspect pbisson's behavior is related to a bug I reported a while back, CAR 427628. This isn't the place for further discussion on the bug, but I thought you should be aware. 

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.