LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Radio215

Please Make the LabVIEW Web Server More Efficient

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Please make the LabVIEW Web Server more efficient! I love the idea of the LabVIEW Web Server as it allows me to create powerful, dynamic web pages for my clients. However, I recently published my VI using the "Embedded" option of the LabVIEW Web Server and found that this uses 3 Mbps per instance. An NI support tech was kind enough to point me to the following article: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3277/en. This article confirmed my fears: the LabVIEW Web Server is transmitting all of the data for each object (even the invisible ones) at the 10Hz update rate of my application.

For this reason, I've decided to use Windows RemoteApps (using the Windows Remote Desktop engine) to publish my VI. In doing so, my network bandwidth is reduced from 3 Mbps to 10 Kbps with zero loss of functionality. However, RemoteApps are a pain to set up and aren't nearly as nice to the end user as a web published LabVIEW front panel. I would like to suggest that you all look at the algorithm behind Windows Remote Desktop and use something similar for the LabVIEW Web Server. In my understanding, Remote Desktop simply sends CHANGED pixels from server to client, and sends mouse and key clicks from client to server. Why would you need anything else?

1 Comment
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.