LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
தமிழ்நேரம்

Pause on first Error - option for debugging.

It would help a lot if we have an option called pause on first Error. So that the VI at the node/primitive that generates the error and highlights that node so that user decides to continue or abort.

அன்புடன்
தமிழ் நேரம்
முதல் இந்திய ஆய்வுமெகபொப சிற்பி
சோதனைநிறுத்தம் சிற்பி
மற்ற சான்றிதழ்கள்
யாதும் ஊரே! யாவரும் கேளிர்!!

8 Comments
fabric
Active Participant
What would be even more useful is "pause BEFORE first error"! 😉
asbo

The functionality should also facilitate how deep in the hierarchy it will detect errors as well as whether or not to use VIs in vi.lib or user.lib. It would also be handy if error detection would also trip Preserve Wire Values.

Daklu
Active Participant

Good idea.

"It would also be handy if error detection would also trip Preserve Wire Values."

Tripping PWV on error is too late.  The data on the previous wires is already gone.  You'd have to set PWV on every block diagram as soon as the pause on first error button was clicked, and that's going to consume huge amounts of memory and cpu cycles.

I'd much rather have PFE not trigger PWV.  When the error occurs I can easily set PWV on that block diagram and run the app again.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

One thing I would add to this idea: When I click "pause on first error", I mean that the option should apply to this VI and to all subVIs *when they are invoked from this VI.* We could do this without needing to recompile VIs, so there'd be no problem enabling the option in the middle of a debug session, and it would help trap deep down errors when they occur in a particular call chain.

Darren
Proven Zealot

@Aristos Queue wrote:

One thing I would add to this idea: When I click "pause on first error", I mean that the option should apply to this VI and to all subVIs *when they are invoked from this VI.* We could do this without needing to recompile VIs, so there'd be no problem enabling the option in the middle of a debug session, and it would help trap deep down errors when they occur in a particular call chain.

While we're adding things...

If we're going to enable this functionality for the entire call chain of the VI that has this debugging setting, can we also enable Retain Wire Values on the entire call chain as well?  It would make the feature much more useful to be able to probe wires upstream of the error after the error occurs...this is probably as close as we can get to fabric's request above to pause *before* the first error... 🙂

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

What about being able to backtrack starting from that error? Like an "undo" for debugging? Retaining wire values is great but I would prefer to be able to just hover over a wire to see its value in the floating Help window rather than to have to create a million probes to simply track the data flow...

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> While we're adding things...

Mine was on topic of the current request. Yours is a whole separate feature. But since you asked, my theory would be "no"... I don't think you can't extend retain wire values like that because that feature requires recompile of the underlying VIs -- it's a modification of their actual code.  "Pause on first error" shouldn't require a recompile of the code... it's no different from putting a conditional probe on every error wire, and probing does not require recompiling.

TomOrr0W