From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
EngrStudent

Order/align objects: as array

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

In any useful drafting program they have a "create array" and they aren't meaning a numeric creature.  They mean a geometric array.

References:

An advanced user menu for Front Panel should allow arrange of objects similar to how CAD tools do. 

In particular - if I have 81 items, I should be able to arrange them in a 9x9 grid array with ease.  I don't get to pick that I have them, btw.  

4 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

How often would you need to use a feature like this?

I've never needed to create an arrangement of 81 objects before.  A handful of times I've needed to create a pattern of perhaps a dozen or so objects.  Not frequenlty enough where I feld I needed a special command beyond just copying and pasting the object and using the already existing spacing and alignment tools to arrange them.

EngrStudent
Active Participant

@RavensFan,

In an absolute sense - I can't know that.

In a relative sense, I expect that I might use that about 30% as much as I use the typical align commands, but more importantly it would help me handle some really bulky and complex inherited clusters from pre-existing code.

In terms of relieving a pain - it would help things. It would be really useful when the alternative is really not. 

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

If NI ever works on that, I would suggest they also include an option to align along a circle. It took me quite some time to achieve that effect by hand...

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.