LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SFK

Option to open VIs or projects for viewing only ("locked" or "read-only")

When reviewing old projects or VIs, the "VI changed" title bar star is always only a few mouse clicks away. And beware of accidentally opening an old project with a newer LabVIEW version!

You all know the "vi has unsaved changes" dialogs that follow when just wanting to close the windows, and who has not at least a dozen times saved an old VI in one of these situations just out of a misplaced click or the habit to save your code whenever you you are prompted to...

This is why I propose a new file menu entry: open (locked)... or open (read-only)... or an "open options" control in the file dialog.

Its functionality would be to open the selected file or project in a similar way like the locked VIs: you can look at them, browse through case or event structures, but cannot change a thing...

Even better would be the option to allow changes (e. g. move/delete some portions before selecting the rest for copy&paste), but to prevent re-saving the file under the same name. For this case, trying <CTRL-S> or closing the file would open a dialog stating that the VI was opened as "read-only" and that you may either discard the changes or save the file under a new name.

Of course, this "read-only" flag would be inherited to all subVIs, typedefs etcetera that would be opened from the original project or VI.

And to make my whishlist complete, a color coding of the VI window / project frames would signalize the read-only state of the code:

By the way: Wouldn't it be nice if VIs in vi.lib featured this opening mode by default?

Best regards,

Sebastian

4 Comments
LukeASomers

I would extend this not only to VIs in vi.lib, but any VI not in the project. If I wanted to change the VI, I'd put it in the project or open it outside the project.

SnowMule
Active Participant

Why's it matter if it's checked into source control?  😉

I would suggest better handling of read-only objects when there's been changes made to them.  If SCC is hooked up in the project things generally go well.

LukeASomers

Were you talking to me? Projects have many other uses besides source control. Principal among them is providing a bright line between project insides and project outsides. There is a difference between a project member and a project dependency.

In particular, project dependencies can be dependencies (or elements of!) another project. These other projects are likely to suffer if their dependencies/members are changed by some outside project.

Manzolli
Active Participant

I had this problem many times since I don't use virtual machines yet.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil