LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_L

Option to Easily re-link drivers to newly installed LabVIEW installation

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

One of the biggest issues that I see new customers run into is the proper install order of LabVIEW and it's drivers.  It's not directly obvious to most that you HAVE to install LabVIEW before the drivers.  When they install another version of LabVIEW and do not update drivers, or they accidentally install drivers first nothing works correctly (DAQmx VIs don't appear in the palettes, New>Targets and Devices doesn't appear in the project menus, etc).  The solution to this is to completely uninstall the drivers that were installed, and then reinstall them.  This is annoying and takes a long time. 

My proposed solution would involve an easy "repair" option or tool that will simply reconnect the components and VIs etc to avoid the massive headache that most new users seem to get themselves in.

4 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

You shouldn't have to uninstall the drivers.  You should be able to run the installer and choose LabVIEW support as a sub install.  I have ran into this and most of the NI drivers allow this.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

TomOrr0W

It looks like I am too late to Kudo this idea; I would if it weren't auto-declined.  Install order is a bit of a headache sometimes, and this idea would improve it.

Edit: Looking at Crossrulz's comment again, I will acknowledge that I am going off of memory on this statement.  I don't think there have been too many recent installs where order caused issues - I am not sure if that is due to experience or due to improvements on NI's part.

TomOrr0W

OK.  Now I remember the most recent case of this: updating LabVIEW to a newer version on an existing computer.  The newer version won't have all the drivers' support unless you reinstall/repair them (or, as I have been doing lately, you select multiple versions of support when installing drivers even though you aren't planning on using those versions at the moment).