LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
DominikS

Open the original VI instead of the cloned VI, by the context menu

This idea is already implemented. See comments thread for more information.

Double clicking a reentrant defined Vi opens always it clone instance. But nearby most of the time i have to edit the function and thus need the original VI open instead of the cloned instance.

It would be comfortable if you add an entry in the context menu like 'Open Prototype VI', so i don't need the navigate through the project explorer to the desired VI for editing.

6 Comments
GuenterMueller
Active Participant

Having a reentrant instance open, pressing <Ctrl+M> (or selecting from the menu "Operate >> Change to Run Mode") will open the reentrant VI.

DominikS

I think this is an acceptable way!

Thanks Günter, still learning even with year of LV experienceSmiley Wink

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Also, when a VI is open, you can use the menus to find the original, like this:

Untitled.png

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Already Implemented

This idea is already implemented. See comments thread for more information.

B_Strange

The spirit of this idea is most certainly NOT implemented. You know how you can ctrl + double click on a subvi to directly open the block diagram? Imagine being able to open the reentrant original with as much ease!

Yeah, it's technically currently implemented but getting there is more circuitous than it has to be.

Darren
Proven Zealot

My opinion is that double-clicking the VI, then pressing Ctrl-M, is a relatively easy workflow. I doubt LabVIEW R&D would ever prioritize any effort to move this gesture to a right-click menu.