LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Open model templates from the LabVIEW help directly

Available in LabVIEW 2012

Many analysis VIs make use of strictly typed model functions and NI provides templates that are mentioned in the help for the function. When writing an analysis program using any of these tools, the clumsy part is getting the template. Since the path listed in the help is relative to the LabVIEW folder, it cannot be pasted directly and requires deep and tedious folder navigation.

As an example, here's how the relevant part of the help looks like for nonlinear curve fit. The yellow part outlines the model.

The LabVIEW help already has mechanisms in place to open examples or place function on block diagram, so I don't really see why opening a model templates requires jumping through flaming hoops.

IDEA: I suggest a little button or link on the relevant help page that allows opening of the associated template with one click.

Here's a list of templates found in the gmath hierarchy. The help pages of all their "mother VIs" need to get updated according to this idea. 

Download All
10 Comments
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

This suggestion is a start, personally I'd like to be able to create a new VI straight from the Strict Type Def.

altenbach
Knight of NI

> ...personally I'd like to be able to create a new VI straight from the Strict Type Def.

Yes, I was marinating an idea along those lines already for a long time, but have not come up with a final solution. One possibility would be to allow right-clicking the function reference terminal followed by "create ..." And it would create a strictly typed static VI reference and open an associated empty model with the right connectors.

What did you have in mind?

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

That is basically the idea I have in mind, it would apply more generally than to just the gmath VIs.  I like how the .NET event callback VIs are created for you.

GregSands
Active Participant

I like this idea, but I like Darin's approach better.  So I'll hold my kudos until the alternative is proposed.

altenbach
Knight of NI
These ideas are not mutually exclusive. 😉
GregSands
Active Participant

> These ideas are not mutually exclusive. :smileywink:

True.  Kudos granted.

johnsold
Knight of NI

I agree with Christian that creating a model VI is much too difficult at present.

Creating a VI from the typedef as Darin.K suggests sounds interesting, as well.

In addition the LM model function and gradient.vit (which I dug out and used this week) could contain somewhat more information than just the controls and indicators.  If it were set up a bit more like an example than an empty framework, it would be more useful.  Many of the good examples have step-by-step instructions on the FP or BD for how to use the VI or what the purposes of various sectins are.  In the cited example describing the advantages of having the VI calculate the partial deriviatives and indicating clearly the format for those would be convenient. I have not used most of the other templates listed, but the same recommendation should be evaluated for them also.

Given the number of questions Christian has answered about curve fitting, implementing this suggestion would probably be like giving him a couple of extra weeks of vacation.

Lynn

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Development

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed
Available in LabVIEW 2012