From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Open Typedef or Show Class Library from Context Menu on Wire

The idea below demonstrates the ability to open a Typedef by right-clicking on a wire, but is also directly applicable to the ability of "Show Class Library" by right clicking on a class wire.

ShowClassLibraryFromWire

It's handy to be able to right click on a typedef constant, control, or terminal and have the "Open Type Def." option. However, oftentimes I only have a wire and not one of those three objects:

TypedefWire.png

In this case, the easiest way to access the typedef is by creating a constant or indicator, then using the context menu on your new "dummy". A big problem is that sometimes structures are exploded in the creation of the dummy.

TypedefWire3.png

Instead of needing to create a dummy to access the typedef, I would like to be able to right click on the wire itself:

TypedefWire4.png

9 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

I like the idea because I'd most certainly use it.

I make a habit of placing all of my enums on the BD so that I have quick access to them when needed.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Intaris wrote:
I make a habit of placing all of my enums on the BD...

Eww. You need this Idea more than I do. Smiley Happy Out of curiosity, have you tried using the VI Hierarchy instead (Menu>>View>>VI Hierarchy)? This would accomplish a better no-maintenance self-documenting task of listing all enums in a given VI. It also ensures you won't leave any remnant dependencies from a typedef you forget to delete.

Intaris
Proven Zealot
Yeah, but I sometimes find myself needing to make changes outside of the project because I nearly always manage to corrupt my LVOOP projects at one time or another.....
GregSands
Active Participant

This is definitely something I'd use, so I've just created an RCF plugin.

MatthewHarrison

I was going to create this idea for myself, when I found it already had been written up.  I would use this feature all the time.  I love it.

-Matt

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I have notified the moderator to change the title from "Open Typedef from Context Menu on Wire" to "Open Typedef or Show Class Library from Context Menu on Wire". Additionally, to add a sentence and image at the beginning of the idea: The idea below demonstrates the ability to open a Typedef by right-clicking on a wire, but is also directly applicable to the ability of "Show Class Library" by right clicking on a class wire.

ShowClassLibraryFromWire

DeltaJ

Excellent idea - I was planning to suggest just this idea myself.

Can I also suggest that if you right-click on a DVR wire it opens the original data type the DVR refers to - assuming that the original data type is a a type def.

Hey.itsDale

I've made a shortcut menu plugin that lets you open typdefs from wires. It can be found here.

Dale S.
RF Systems Engineer - NI
_carl

Just came here to make the same request...I find myself often wishing this was available!  End up "creating constant", opening library/typdef from there, and then undoing far too often...