LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wevanarsdale

Open PDF Files Specified in VI Properties

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

The Help path input on the Documentation page of the VI Properties dialog is currently useful for displaying content in CHM or HTML files.  I propose expanding this list to include PDF files.  Such files are an important method of documentation that is readily obtainable from common applications on most computers.  

One method of accomplishing this task in Windows is through a command line.

cmd.exe /c "PDF_File_Path" (open file in default viewer)
AcroRd32.exe /A "page=5=OpenActions" "PDF_File_Path" (open file on page 5 in Acrobat Reader)
firefox.exe -new-tab "PDF_File_Path" (open file in Firefox using a new tab)

Unfortunately most PDF viewers do not allow navigation in open files using the command line.  While a native LabVIEW PDF viewer with navigation would be nice, I'd appreciate the ability to just open a file by right-clicking on a subVI and selecting Help from the menu.

I've attached LabVIEW 2012 VIs, a presentation and a reference on help from the Nov 2013 ALARM User Group meeting.  This presentation describes some advantages of documenting LabVIEW applications using PDF files.

1 Comment
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.