From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin.K

Obey default label position when changing from control to indicator and vice versa

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. When you have the label position of a control/indicator terminal set to 'Label on side', then the label will be repositioned properly when changing between control and indicator.

I really like having two different default locations for my terminal labels.  What I do not like so much is that I still end up dragging a lot of labels around after changing a control to an indicator or indicator to control.  I would like it if the label location was automatically moved to the default position when the direction of a terminal is changed. 

You could get fancy and only move it if it is currently in the default location, I'd prefer it to always be moved.  And I am not interested in the Quick Drop shortcut here.  I do not want a quick way to clean up the mess I do not want the mess made in the first place.

Move Labels.png

12 Comments
johnsold
Knight of NI

I am frustrated by the current behavior also. It is quite common to have subVIs with an X Input control. Then duplicate and change to indicator X Output. Then drag the label to where the settings specify.  Underlined part is unproductive. 

When I change a control to an indicator (or the reverse), I consider that I am making a new indicator (or control) and expect my settings to apply.

Lynn

fabric
Active Participant

Another issue with "drag to fix" is that text justification is not updated (hence this idea). 

If this gets implemented, please make sure that text is correctly justified too.

GregSands
Active Participant

Agree with changing the justification also.

Darren
Proven Zealot

Kudos, this behavior has bugged me for a while. In the meantime, you can use the Quick Drop "Move Labels" Keyboard Shortcut to change the label position to match whatever you have set in Tools > Options. In LabVIEW 2013 and later, the justification is fixed, too.

Ctrl-Space, Ctrl-T to move the labels of all top-level control/indicator terminals on the block diagram.

Ctrl-Space, Ctrl-Shift-T to move the labels of all control/indicator terminals on the block diagram.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Ummmm....Darren, the shortcut for moving terminals is Ctrl+T.  Ctrl+D is for creating controls/indicators/constants from a node.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darren
Proven Zealot

@crossrulz wrote:

Ummmm....Darren, the shortcut for moving terminals is Ctrl+T.

That's what I get for reading the idea exchange after midnight. 😛 I fixed my comment to refer to the correct shortcut.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

@Darren wrote:
That's what I get for reading the idea exchange after midnight. :smileytongue:

Hmm, if only there was a way to access these actions by name and letting the shortcut be really configurable, such confusions wouldn't be as relevant.

If only there was a way...

Hmm... Wait...

Wait... wait... I'm getting something... It's becoming clearer... almost...

Ah, that's it - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Supercharge-Quick-Drop-Turn-QD-keyboard-shortcuts-into...

While the Label does not change when the Control is changed to an Indicator, if you use the "Clean Up Diagram" on it, the Label will justify according to the default rules.

Another observation that I have made is that if a Control is changed to a Constant and then to an Indicator the text is justified properly. From this behavior I think I can explain what is going on and why. Changing a constant to an indicator appears to Remove the Constant and then create a new Indicator with the constants data. The change from Control to Indicator appears to be a state change (like changing a property). 

Alex D
Systems Engineer
Academic Research
National Instruments
JÞB
Knight of NI

See Here

Well.....Smiley Embarassed

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
magicbean

Yes - I'd like this too.