LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intaris

Numeric formatting option to always include the sign

I would often like to directly compare numbers within an array control stretched vertically and with fixed-width font and have tried in vain in the past to include the sign of the number automatically so that alignment is not lost between psotive and negative numbers.

I'd love to be able to display the sign always (+ and -) so that I can maintain constant number width in my displays.

nonuniform number formatting.png

The digits under the long fgreen line SEEM to be the same decimal palce, but they are not.  The shift due to the sign is hard to spot and makes a cursory glance insufficient to distinguish numbers from each other.

I know I can get this done using minimum field width and padding with spaces but why can't I just show the sign?

That's all.

Shane.

9 Comments
GuenterMueller
Active Participant
Doesn't adding a "+" in the DisplayFormat solve this issue? Example: %+d
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Really?  Wow.  Didn't know that. Hah, cool.  I suppose it's only beeen in for the last 12 versions of LV or something.  No wonder I missed that.....

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Stupid idea, already ins ince the year 1654.  Ignore.

Technico

Align to the Right also helps...

Intaris
Proven Zealot

I'm not having a good day, am I?

johnsold
Knight of NI

Of course, if numbers defaulted to align to right, as they should, then this would not have been an issue.

Lynn

elset191
Active Participant

@johnsold wrote:

Of course, if numbers defaulted to align to right, as they should, then this would not have been an issue.

(idea)

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
johnsold
Knight of NI

Thanks for the link.

MaryH
Status changed to: Already Implemented