LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TSatCTC

Number to Decimal String

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

The name of this VI is a little misleading because the number is rounded to an integer before it is converted to a string.  I think a name like 'Number to Integer String,' or 'Integer Number to String' would be more appropriate.  I guess the 'Decimal' is just meant to indicate the fact that it is expecting a base 10 number, but I associate decimal with the data types double and float.  For those who wish to convert a double/float number to a string (without rounding to an integer first) the 'Number to Fractional String' is the correct VI.

2 Comments
David_L
Active Participant

I agree this is very confusing and got me stuck the first few times I tried using it.  However, I think making a significant name change to a widely used function would cause more confusion for those who have already gotten accustomed to the current function.  

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.