LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Himanshu_Goyal

New VI default always Open with Error In and Error Out control

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

New VI or Blank VI open with default Error In and Error Out controls, connected with connector pane.

Thanks and Regards
Himanshu Goyal | LabVIEW Engineer- Power System Automation
Values that steer us ahead: Passion | Innovation | Ambition | Diligence | Teamwork
It Only gets BETTER!!!
7 Comments
longbow

I agree

fabric
Active Participant

@Himanshu: You can do this already! Just go to File>>New... and choose VI>>From Template>>Frameworks>>SubVI with Error Handling. Yes, it's a few clicks, but the second time you go there it is already selected 🙂

@longbow: Then you need to press the kudos button!

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I definitely do not agree. Blank VI should be blank VI. If you wish to create a template VI and create new VIs from that, go for it.

jeff.kittle

I would like to amend this idea with allowing the user to select which .vit is used for a new VI.  I want to be able to create a blank.vit that has error in/out and includes our company logo and our default connector pane.

jeff.kittle

Here is another idea that goes along with VI templates that deserves Kudos

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/VI-templates-should-almost-always-open-as-new-VIs/idi-...

thoult
Active Participant

FWIW, it's possible to do this already with a bit of nous...

Disclaimer - don't edit anything in the following path! If you do, make sure you keep a backup.

In the LV folder, under resource/plugins/, there are a number of VIs that LV calls on certain occasions. For instance, lv_new.vi is what is called when you click File > New.

Create a VI called lv_new_vi.vi in this folder (unless it's already there). First things first, drop a numeric indicator, change its representation to I32, its label to 'return value' and wire to the top right connector of a 4-2-2-4 connector, which should be the default.

Any code inside this VI will now execute whenever CTRL-N or File > New VI is selected.

If you use Application Control > VI Scripting > New VI, you can specify which template you'd like to apply. You could set this to a constant value, but for jeff.kittle's idea, it's not complicated to create a dialog which allows you to select the template for a new VI... including a blank one, to keep Aristos happy.

There should be some OpenG examples around somewhere.

---
CLA
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.