LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mythilt

New Controls added to FP should not be added to sub-diagrams in the BD.

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. All new controls/indicators placed on the front panel are always available in the same place on the diagram...the unplaced items tray.

After another case of this happening, I did a search, and while I found a lot of suggestions about auto-grow with regards to adding new controls via the BD "Create xxx" menu and some about adding new controls into a Tab control on the FP, I'm surprised that I didn't see any comments/suggestions about how adding a control to the FP can cause an auto-grow oops since you can't really control where the new Terminal is added to the BD. 

This is a bit of a frustration for me, I'll have written part the skeleton of my code, my structures in place and sized how I want them.  I then swap to the FP to start adding more specific controls,  I select the controls I want on the FP palette, drop them, swap to the BD and everything is messed up because some of the controls decided they were part of various BD structures and thus resized things.  This isn't just auto-grow, I've had a case where the control was dropped into a case frame and while working with another control, the visible frame was changed, and I 'lost' the control terminal.  I was able to find it by swapping to the FP and using 'find terminal' but was still a pain and a bother.

My suggestion is:  New terminals added via the front panel are not added to any sub-diagrams in the BP, instead of semi-mimicking their location relative to the FP, just place them near the desired location that isn't already taken up.  This way, the only way a terminal is added to a sub-diagram is when the user decides to add it to the sub-diagram.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
7 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Take a look at the LabVIEW Tech Preview.  There is a feature in there that would work for this.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Mythilt

Good to hear that it is in development.

I wish I could look at the tech preview, but it requires that I have an active SSP.  The gov owns the license that I use at work, and the company I do some consulting with on the side owns the license that I use when I do work for them, so my access isn't with an SSP that is in my name.  (I've applied, but am still looking at Pending Approval, assume the above is why.)

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

If you are familiar with LabVIEW WebUI Developer (not sure whether that still exists), the principle is the same: newly created control terminals are stowed in a "bin" where you can grab then if you need them on the diagram.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. All new controls/indicators placed on the front panel are always available in the same place on the diagram...the unplaced items tray.

d.w.b

Doesn't this need to be reopened for LabVIEW since NXG was discontinued?