From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broken_Arrow

New Clear Errors VI would keep a History of Cleared Errors

Declining this idea for the following reasons: This would introduce state into a VI used ubiquitously across applications, including VIs running as part of LabVIEW's editor itself. It would make a global variable a standard for LabVIEW programming. And it would turn a fairly light weight VI into one that has the overhead of an array copy on every invocation.

This proposed new VI would expand upon the Clear Errors VI, and keep a history of the error codes that have been cleared. Ideally, it would have a History Length input (not shown) that, when not wired, would default to 1024 errors.

ClearErrors+History.png

Richard

12 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

I assume there would be a boolean input that would clear the list, yes?

Also, should it store the error text too? My vote is yes. Perhaps also a timestamp of when the error / warning code was added to the list?

When the history limit is reached, it's FIFO, right?

Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

I was thinking the History works just like a chart history. The older samples just roll off the edge. LIFO? FILO? FIDO?

Richard

kegghead
I like this idea, but would like the entire cluster be retained. FIFO.
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

I thought of that, in fact had that drawn up at first but changed it. I'd be fine with either. If I have the code I can look it up. The error cluster has the boolean which would be redundant - they are ALL errors.

Richard

MaryH
Status changed to: Declined
Declining this idea for the following reasons: This would introduce state into a VI used ubiquitously across applications, including VIs running as part of LabVIEW's editor itself. It would make a global variable a standard for LabVIEW programming. And it would turn a fairly light weight VI into one that has the overhead of an array copy on every invocation.
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Well, my Idea was for a NEW vi, not to edit the existing one. They could exist side-by-side on the palette. But sure, yeah.

Richard

dthor
Active Participant

"It would make a global variable a standard for LabVIEW programming."

Wouldn't it use an action engine instead? Either way, I like the Idea and I'm going to make one for myself. It will make logging errors much much easier.

dthor
Active Participant

Alright, here's what I've come up with. Feel free to use it. As you can tell by the timestamp of my previous post, I didn't spend much time on it, so it might not be ideal. Seems to be working OK though.

Clear Errors with History.vi

Clears any error entered into Error In while recording the timestamp and errors (not warnings) that enter the node. Reset will clear the list of errors and will also update the History Length.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/431026/Clear%20Errors%20with%20History.vi

**EDIT: Saved in LV2010 SP1

Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Very nice, thanks dthor! Smiley Happy

Richard

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Although it was declined I just saw this idea and gave it kudos. I think it was improperly declined because Broken Arrow was not suggesting modifying the existing Clear Errors but adding a new one.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012