LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Balint

New Blank Project - menu item

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I suggest to insert a New Blank Project - menu item into the File Menu :

File

New VI  (Ctrl+N)

New Blank Project  (Ctrl+Shift+P)

Currently a blank project cannot be opened in one step.

4 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

Creating a new project is a relatively rare operation so an extra step is not a huge burden.

New menu entries add more menu clutter and this needs to be balanced.

A larger menu selection will slow down accessing all other entries.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

a) Once you create a new blank project, it is on the Getting Started Window in the recent templates list (left side). You can pin it there so it is accessible permanently. This by itself makes it very accessible at the time you are most likely creating a new project -- when you have nothing else open.

b) As Altenbach noted, a new project is fairly rare compared to all the other reasons to go to the File menu.

c) We specifically want users to consider when they create a new project using an existing template rather than always reaching for blank projects. We believe the templates often save significant time. For that reason, we do not want to promote blank project.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

This feature is useful for me in cases where I want to open isolated code (like code from the forums or previous versions from SCC) and don't want to go through the new project creation dialog. That's why I simply did it myself quite some time ago and here's how you can too:

1. Download this file - http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/130/12353/1/New%20Project.vit
  2. Rename its extension to .vi (although that probably doesn't matter). That renaming was just to allow uploading.
  3. Place it in your <LabVIEW>\wizard folder.
  4. Restart LV or call the App.Refresh Menus method.
  5. You will now have this option in your File menu (although not if you're in a project window, because LV builds the menu differently there).

Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.