From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregorH

Multiligual application

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

A customer of mine want to create multilingual applications. They are sloving this right now by im- and exporting strings. They found a tool in the Internet, that can extract texts which can then be processed and be imported again. The VI has then to be saved and compiled, which is very time consuming.

He programmed a tool for a Windows Applications which is working similar. In that tool it is then possible to change the language. But we would need some soft of language lists.

His Idea to slove it easily is to implement subtitles (maybe around 5) in every forntpanelelement in which you could set the translation similar to a button text. The same way could be applied for the tips and the description. These Subtitles should then be switchable during the test to get the proper language version.

Best regards
Gregor Hufnagel, M. Sc.
Application Engineer
National Instruments
3 Comments
HolgerF

Hello,

I don't think, this is the right way of a solution. Why just 5 subtitles, what if you have to support more languages? How would you edit it in properties dialog? You should also have in mind, that a labview frontpanel object can have more string elements than subtitles. What about button text, graph axis or plot descriptions, radio button elements and so on.

I suggest, that you create a table file, with a column for each language and a column where you put identifier of  your text elements. You also need a library which then crawls your elements in your vis, which replaces the subtitles with your desired strings from the table. This solution also works at runtime, so you don't need to compile your vis, if you change or add languages.

The a (simple) crawler library is programmed easily (I did mine simple one in 3-5 days). But you can also buy one (i.e AMSSU by AMS Software GmbH or Localization Toolkit by SEA (also available as demo)).

Greetings

Holger

manusha55

Hello Gregor,

If your issue isn't solved yet try the following toolkit

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/213209

Good luck!

Manu

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.