LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregFreeman

More flexible Development Environment Callback VIs

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I wouldn't call it common knowledge, but it's certainly not unknown that there are LabVIEW callback VIs that are invoked if present when certain development environment events happen. With the growing prominance of scripting and the increasing ability to develop custom tools to inhance development, I suggest a more flexible approach to these callbacks. Right now, if you want to use these VIs you have to be careful that you don't overwrite the existing VI (if there is one), or you have to manually go into the VI and drop your subVI that you want to run, within the specific callback VI. It would be nice if there was some tool within LabVIEW that allowed you to select the VIs you would like to run on certain LV Development Environment events, and then the paths to those VIs would be fed into the callback function VI to be called dynamically. While us developers could create something like this on our own, a standardized template for a more flexible callback would be nice. This would ensure the developer could create VIs to, say, run on LabVIEW startup but never have to muck with the actual lv_init.vi VI, worry about what's already in the VI and overwriting it, etc. They would just have to configure another path to a VI for the lv_init VI to call. If anyone has a more flexible idea, please feel free to add to this.

2 Comments
GoofyWires

I didn't know about the callback vis. Thanks!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.