LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bienieck

Monospaced font in VI Documentation (Context Help)

Simple thing:
It will be nice to have context help with monospaced font. The functionality of this help currently is very poor but with monospace font we will be able to add e.g. simple "arrays" and probably many more others descriptive things that can be usually found in e.g. .h files.

Below simple character based array in notepad++ and in LV context help.

notepad.JPG

context.jpg

Regards,

Michał Bieńkowski

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
12 Comments
ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

@ bienieck : " The functionality of this help currently is very poor ... "    +1

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

The font used for Description and Tip is the same as that used for Controls (Application Font in the Environment tab of Options). I found that Levenim MT size 14 does a good job for both:

Application 13:   Application 13.png

Levenim MT 14: Levenim MT 14.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 19.59.39.png

You can always individually set the Font used by controls if you don't like that font for your controls.

bienieck
Active Participant

@ X.: I'm afraid this is not working in VI Documentation...

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
Darren
Proven Zealot

I wish we used monospace font way more. My need to line up multiple lines of text comes up surprisingly often.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

@benieck: no, it does. What is misleading is that when you paste your text in the documentation window, the font used there is apparently the default application font, but in real use, the documentation is perfectly justified and uses the specified font (Courier in the example below):

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 10.09.28.png

bienieck
Active Participant

@ X. You were right 🙂 THX

But is Levenim MT really monospased?

Google said that monospaced fonts in MS are:

BatangChe
Consolas
Courier
DFKai-SB
DotumChe
FangSong
GulimChe
GungsuhChe
KaiTi
Lucida Console
Lucida Sans Typewriter
MingLiU
MingLiU-ExtB
MingLiU_HKSCS
Miriam Fixed
NSimSun
OCR A Extended
Rod
SimHei
Simplified Arabic Fixed
SimSun
SimSun-ExtB

and there is only one monospaced ttf font in MS which is Courier New

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/90057

But anyway, it will be nice to have default mono font in VI doc.

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Levenim MT (MT stands for monotyped, aka monospaced) is... monospaced. It just happened to be one of the MT named fonts on my computer which looked reasonable similar to the Segoe UI font used by LabVIEW on Windows 7.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

I have never heard of that font before.  I see it exists in MS Word.  I do not see it in the font dialog in LabVIEW.

fabric
Active Participant

I also like monospaced fonts for certain kinds of documentation, hence my vote.

However I feel compelled to chime in on all this Levenim MT rubbish:

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I stand corrected. What monospaced font is there out there that has a decent look?