From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
approximately_whatever

Mixed signal graph - new digital line style

I would really appreciate a new line style for digital signals in Mixed Signal Graphs. See pictures below for example of what I mean:

Current way of displaying digital signals:

before.png

Proposed way of displaying digital signals:

after.png

I think an additional line style like this would increase readability of digital graphs.

4 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

Just to clarify, the only difference between the two graphs is that the digital plots are filled in for "HI" values? I assume, if we have this option, that we should also have the option of having "LO" filled in also.

stbe
Active Participant

I personally don't like the idea to fill digital bars even if they seem to be more visible. As (digital) engineer you usually come across filled bars but they mean that signals toggle often and when zooming in, you can see how the value changes.

However I would appreciate to have the value written into the graph (could be binary, decimal, hex....) similar to e.g. Modelsim.

dthor - yes, you are correct, that is the only difference.

stbe - I was also thinking about that, and in this case (when digital signal toggles often) the digital bar could be filled with a pattern, so it would be apparent that the signal toggles.

Also, not all signal are like that. You can select for each digital signal a different line style. So if you have a choice, you can select another line style. I only wish that filled digital bars would be an option.

dirku

It would be be great to have that kind of line style in a digital graph.