LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexAAuck

Mark Don't Enter During Debug

Hi guys,

When debugging, I often find I need to jump over a number of operations before jumping into an operation I'm interested in. It would be nice if we could mark VIs to not be entered (always skipped) when debugging, so that I can just spam the jump into key until I hit the one I want.

8 Comments
P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

For this you could use Diagram disable structure which does the exact thing what you are expecting.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
RavensFan
Knight of NI

I don't think that is what he is looking for.  It sounds to me that he wants the subVI to execute, but wants to have it marked not to be stepped into, but to be stepped over without having to hit the other debugging step button at the right moment.

I'd argue that related or perhaps better ideas are

User defined partial Highlight Execution

Improved Debugging for parallel loops (optional / selective debugging)

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Yes. This is an EXCELLENT idea. It's on my personal shortlist of "tools I have in other IDEs that I miss in LabVIEW".

fabric
Active Participant

A reasonable workaround in many cases is to just uncheck "Allow debugging" for any VI you wish to skip...

Intaris
Proven Zealot

@fabric

What do you do if the part you want to skip isn't a VI (Like some autoindexing for loop)?  This idea would allow much more control over that process.

fabric
Active Participant

Well the OP mentioned "VIs to not be entered (always skipped) when debugging"... Smiley Happy  

Anyway, I can see some value in extending this idea to other structures (and maybe even a "don't debug structure"), but I'm still not sure if I'd really use this much. It would need to be sufficiently quicker and easier than using breakpoints...

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Yes, turning off debugging achieves this effect, but it has the side effect of making it so you can't debug those VIs when you actually do need to go into them, and you end up editing the debug settings of the VI. This would allow for a much nicer compromise position, IMHO.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

For the record, I would advocate to turn it on by default on every single VI in vi.lib and every shipping toolkit API. Once an API is done, for the most part, there's no value in stepping into it on every function call.