LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Make the "minimum" run time engine self-aware.

(There are much more comprehensive ideas related to the run-time engine install mechnism posted and they would solve all this too. Still, if the above idea will take al long time, the following mini-idea could hopefully be implemented earlier :))

A wrinke I run across with my users is that I clearly specify that they need to install the standard run time engine, however they go ahead and install the mimimum version for whatever reason.

Then, when they launch the application, they get all these warnings that are complete gibberish to a non-LabVIEW user. Warnings about missing VIs, ctls, etc. So I get phone calls and e-mails that things don't work.

My suggestion: The minimum run-time engine should be aware of the things included with the full run-time engine and give a single meaningful warning message that the standard runtime engine is required and only the minimum is installed.

4 Comments
dthor
Active Participant

When I first read the title, I was thinking that you were asking NI to create SkyNet Smiley Very Happy

But this sounds like a good, simple, useful idea. Kudos!

gsussman
Active Participant

Amen to that idea! Kudos

Jon_S.
NI Employee (retired)

The main problem with this is that the RTE implicitly relies on the different components being present.  There are hundreds of different calls where we would have to add checks for each of these.  This would cost major development time and would also slow down the execution speed for everything.

We are working on a better experience for the user if they don't have the either of the RTEs installed.  I can understand how the users could get confused as to what RTE to install based on the two download pages.  The main use case for having the minimum RTE up to install is for remote panels.  I'll look at making it more obvious as to which one of those the user will need to install.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
Mark_Yedinak
Trusted Enthusiast

This is not the only issue. If I build an application and include the install for the RTE in the install package I often gets complaints and questions regarding the size of the install. I now build two versions of the installer. One with the RTE and one with the applicatio only. However, this does not resolve the issue of a very large installer for the application when the RTE is required. It would be nice if we had more basic RTE that we could deploy rather than one large monolithic one. The builder could be smart enough to let us know which version we need so we could include the smallest one for that application.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot