From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the .aliases, .lvlps files hidden

In all these years, I have never had a need to open or edit the .aliases file or the .lvlps file.  Why not make these files hidden by default?  They don't need to be visible.  If somebody forgets to copy them, a new one gets created anyway.

S G
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
5 Comments
Wart

Maybe their functionality could be rolled into the .lvproj file?  Though I suspect R&D has already considered that idea.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
> Maybe their functionality could be rolled into the .lvproj file? It can't be. These files are user and computer specific, whereas the project file isn't.

I would never want these files hidden.  I find it annoying when the default settings for Windows hide file extensions by default, and hide system files.  If a file exists on MY hard drive, I want to know it exists and all of the information about it.  I don't like the concept that a software company can put a file on a hard drive then try to hide it from you.

GregSands
Active Participant

Perhaps rather than hiding them, they could be placed in a different location, in the same way that "separate compiled code" is.  As they are user/computer-specific, then having them under "LabVIEW Data" would make more sense anyway.

silmaril

And in all those cases in which they only contain the obvious default values (which is 95% of my projects), they should be omitted completely.

Why generate a file in the first place, if there is absolutely no change in LV behaviour when it's deleted?