From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yakov

Make it posible to find error codes in help.

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Just that: Make it posible to find error codes in help.

I can never find general list of error codes wigh their descriptions in the Labview Help.

11 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

There is the Help->Explain Error menu item.

The real problem here is that you have different error codes for different modules inside of LabVIEW.  I imagine it could still be done.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
StephenB
Active Participant
What would really be nice is if functions documented which error codes they could throw
Stephen B
crossrulz
Knight of NI

You mean like this idea: List every error code a function can give out!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Yakov: There is no list because the list is open-ended and shifts depending upon what modules you have installed. If you want to see a list of the error codes, open up the *-errors.txt files that are on your disk. The ones in <labview>\resource\errors are the ones for LV core. The ones in <labview>\user.lib\errors are installed by third-party libraries. The ones in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Errors\ are from hardware drivers. Collectively these define the error codes on your particular system.

Yakov

What I mean is, when I go to help to look up error codes I get this:

error codes.gif

... and none of the topics give list of error codes of any kind.

I would like to see something like this:

error codes 1.gif

and if I open the page:

error codes 2.gif

... here we go. Error Codes!

So in Labview Help for "error codes" the topics should be:

General Error Codes

Networking Error Codes

DAQmx Error Codes

Vision Acquisition Error Codes

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

That file is in the index.

Untitled.png

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

There is no list of errors from the other modules because when LV ships, we don't know those errors. Each module/toolkit (including from third-parties) can install additional errors. That's why if you want this information, I was pointing you toward the error code text files.

Darren
Proven Zealot

Perhaps the best solution here is a dynamically generated list of codes and descriptions based on what is present on the system. It seems like we could provide a Help menu option that runs a VI and generates a dynamic HTML page with that info.

Yakov, given what AristosQueue said about the dynamic nature of the errors.txt files on the system, would a separate tool to generate information about locally-installed errors be a viable solution?

JÞB
Knight of NI

Darren

"Perhaps the best solution here is a dynamically generated list of codes and descriptions based on what is present on the system. It seems like we could provide a Help menu option that runs a VI and generates a dynamic HTML page with that info."

You mean like the error ring (Perhaps searchable)

Capture.PNG

Whatever is going on behind the scenes in that select error dialog ALLREADY generates a dynamic list from whatever in installed- redirecting its output to a HTML file ought to be relatively painless (For me at least- maybe not for the developer) Unless.... Hmmm If you don't pick that up 8-Ball might, I like that idea

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
johnsold
Knight of NI

Darren and Jeff,

Given the dynamic nature of error messages, the concept of a VI to get them sounds useful. Even better would be a list specific to a VI named (or by refnum) as an input to the Get Error Messages VI.

Go for it, Jeff.

Lynn