LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CAPITANEVS

Make current values default - Excluding Large Data

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

Make current values default - Excluding Large Data

Subject:

Improve "Saving Default values" option, adding the possibility to EXCLUDE data of certain kind of control or

exceeding a certain size.

The typical case of use

You use LV for developing data analysis software, or for data reduction. You want to save the values of parameters which give you a certain result, but not the result itself in the case its too huge.

In my case "result" = a number of Intensity Graph controls each one of 2048x2048.

Why that?

To reduce VI size, saving time and improve VI startup after small changes. This encourages the use of LV as "scripting" (or "sketching", as I like to say) language.

4 Comments
drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

How about "Make current control values default"?  That excludes indicators which will include all those large graphs..

CAPITANEVS

That works for the selected controls only, which is pretty unconfortable if you have tens of controls scattered over the front panel. And selecting them each time you want to keep track of their value, is not exactly time-saving...

I think the suggested functionality would be interesting who uses LV as scripting language, rather than as full-standalone app IDE.  

VI are versatile because they allow to store data inside. Commands for "MASS STORAGE" (make current values default) or "RETAIL STORAGE" (make current control values default) are available. An intermediate one could be appreciated. Scalars, Enum, Strings and so can be safely stored. 1D array most of times. 2D or 3D arrays probably not, if they are very large. Smiley Happy

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

I meant have a new option: make all control (as opposed to indicator) values default, not just selected ones.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.