LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr._Bob

Make Search Results Position @ Center of Screen

When selecting block diagram items from the "search results" screen, the resulting highlighted area on the block diagram always seems to be on the extreme edges of the screen. This requires a finite amount of time scanning all four corners of the screen for the item. Recommend that the "found" item always be positioned in the exact center of the screen to eliminate this issue.

Thanks,

Bob

3 Comments
ZX81

... Especially if you have context help and the probe window open.  Even if they take 20% of the screen, there's an 80% chance the search results will be under one or the other.

I can't believe there are not more kudos for this post.

1) This is a really annoying issue. First, you have to scan and locate the item, then you have to slide horizontally and vertically to center the item to be able to see the surrounding elements.

2) Who from NI is looks at these posts?

3) How do we know when and if these suggestions will get implemented?

Thanks,

Mr. Bob

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

> I can't believe there are not more kudos for this post

Well, this only seems to be an issue if the code extends outside the window. Many people try to limit the amount of code in each VI, so this problem may not be as common as you think with people who follow the idea exchange.

> Who from NI is looks at these posts?

I know that some people from the LV dev team look at all the ideas, but I don't know if they have an official policy of reading every single idea. I assume that as an official policy they look at the popular ones and at ideas which are related to a particular feature or area they decide to work on.

> How do we know when and if these suggestions will get implemented?

You don't, at least not beforehand. Ideas are marked as being in development only after NI has decided to actively work on them for a specific version, and that is usually around this time of year for the August release of next year (that is if they decide to mark them).

You also don't know how they will decide. There are some popular ideas which haven't been done (for various reasons) and other ideas which have been implemented in code within a day of being submitted because there was a developer who thought "hey, that's a good idea and it's simple enough".