LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin.K

Make Defer Updates an Object Property as well as a Panel Property

For the reasons eloquently stated here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/quot-Defer-Panel-Updates-quot-within-sequence-frame-so...

defering Panel updates is both useful and a bit tedious.  You have to fetch the Panel reference, and while you are doing your presumably time-consuming operation, the entire panel is stuck.  I suggest that Deferring Updates should be a property of an individual object and not just the entire panel.  Wrap your operation with a pair of property nodes to start and stop deferring and you are all set.

NewDeferPNExample.PNG

11 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Conditional Kudos: change Idea from "Make Defer Updates an Object Property instead of Panel Property" to "Allow Defer Updates as Object Property in addition to Panel Property" 😉

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

Read the new title, edited as you typed....

Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Good one! Graphs, charts, dense tables, listboxes, etc could benefit from this.

Richard

kegghead
To clarify, you mean to defer the updates for the referenced object only? If so, then absolutely.
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

@kegghead- That is precisely what I hope to accomplish.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

I'm in

This is LONG overdue

altenbach
Knight of NI

I still would like to merge that with my comment here.

jgcode
Active Participant

I don't have a problem using Defer Panel Updates Property for Panels i.e. I don't think its tedious to get to the reference as per the original post.

I support this Idea as I do have a problem when e.g. I wan't to defer updates because a method running on a heavy UI object (e.g. Update Tree) takes a lot of time and deferring updates means that I can't e.g. provide a status update in another object. http://bit.ly/9wj8dG

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
PJM_Labview
Active Participant

I support this Idea as I do have a problem when e.g. I wan't to defer updates because a method running on a heavy UI object (e.g. Update Tree) takes a lot of time and deferring updates means that I can't e.g. provide a status update in another object

In the same fashion, when You have multiple object instances (lets say multiple instance of an XControl for example) that need defer panel update concurrently, you have to jump through hoops to make sure one instance does not restore panel updating while another is in the middle of a large refresh that required update to be deferred. So big Kudo to that idea since having this on a per object basis will make that problem go away..

vipm.io | jki.net

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

PJM - Agreed, but I think you worded it more clearly.