LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ken_Naylor

Make Boolean Wires easier to see

When the Grid is on it is difficult to see Boolean wired due to their 'dotted' appearance.

Change the Boolean wire from a dotted green line to a solid green line to improve visibility

LabVIEW wires.JPG

Ken

12 Comments
Mr._Jim
Active Participant

This is one reason why I turn my grids off, but in observing your configuration the bolder lines definitely help!

I just bought my first set of glasses - less eye strain is definitely a plus.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I'm surprised you have the block diagram grid on. I created the grids and originally I left off the diagram grid. One customer and one internal LV dev wanted the diagram grid, and it was easy to render, so I added the options, but the vast majority of customers haven't liked it so it has remained turned off by default, and several times it has been discussed removing it.

With the diagram grid on, lots of wires are hard to read.

Having said all that... work on general readability of diagrams is making progress. The R&D team is aging just as much as our customers. 🙂

altenbach
Knight of NI

I am getting a new laptop with a 15" full 1080p screen. Hopefully I will still see the boolean wires, even when programming in glaring sunlight on the beach. 😄

This idea would probably help. Kudos!

altenbach
Knight of NI
RavensFan
Knight of NI
If the wires were solid green, wouldn't it be harder to distinguish them from the blue-green wires that make up references?
Ken_Naylor

I aways have the grid on as it makes it easier to align terminals, sub vis, etc to help keep the block diagram neat and tidy.

Cannot abide an untidy Block DiagramSmiley Mad

Ken

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Cannot abide an untidy Block Diagram

Neither can I nor most other people, but the diagram grid has never helped me maintain it. Indeed, I see it more often forces things into unnatural alignments because nodes and terminals are not standard sizes. Thus my surprise at your success. But I'm pleased it works for you and this is a tangent from the main discussion.

> If the wires were solid green, wouldn't it be harder to distinguish them from

> the blue-green wires that make up references?

Or the blue wires that are integers or the orange wires that are doubles... see... many people are color blind. Patterns are helpful. I would not advocate Booleans losing all pattern.

elset191
Active Participant

Continuing the gridline tangent.

I have my grid on very dim, but do not use it for terminal alignment and I certainly don't snap to grid.  I use it primarily to tell if my VI is in run mode or edit mode.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
dthor
Active Participant

> AristosQueue said: "...and several times it has been discussed removing [the diagram grid]."

Oh please no, I actually love it Heart (and grid snap on both FP and BD). I don't mind if it's off by default, but I love me dem grids.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

It's been easy to maintain, so it ain't going anywhere. Don't worry.