LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MimiKLM

List of cases in case structure should be auto sorted and a kind of IntelliSense

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Hi,

I'm struggling with finding out the proper case in my case structure. It would be nice if the cases could be sorted automatically. Even better would be if we could change the sorting style (asc or desc).

Additional feature could be that the list of cases presented below should react for typing something like IntelliSense. For example, having the list of cases open as on the screen shoot below, if I type first few letters of the case name it should dynamically, (while I'm typing) go to the first case matched. 

f87c9eb0ee6f20bdadc7b96ef8238e47.png

Current problem: unsorted long lists are difficult to search

6 Comments
M_Peeker

Sorting the cases is easy enough using the Rearrange Cases -> Sort tool. It doesn't do nearly all what the idea proposes, but it's sufficient for the wast majority of use cases.

CLA
www.dvel.se
TheQ
Active Participant
I usually like my cases arranged in some sort of execution order or some order logical to me in relation to the execution. I rarely put them in alphabetical order. The intellisense idea could be useful or at least a better way to navigate between cases when you have a lot of them. That would be useful for the Event Structure as well.
Quentin "Q" Alldredge

Chief LabVIEW Architect, Testeract | Owner, Q Software Innovations, LLC (QSI)
Director, GCentral | Admin, LabVIEW Wiki | Creator, The QControl Toolkit
Certified LabVIEW Architect | LabVIEW Champion | NI Alliance Partner

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I agree in general that long lists in LV should be searchable, as mentioned in the comments here - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-Intellisense-support-to-the-property-node/idi-p/15...

I don't see a very good UI for implementing something like this here (and I don't usually have case structures with very many cases), but I will vote for this anyway in the hopes that someone finds one (e.g. maybe a magnifying glass button near the selector or a text field at the top of the selection list or an option in the context menu).

You can search by typing, you just need to start typing with a ". For example, when searching for Tx_Offset start typying " then t then x then _ and so on and it will automatically highlight the option.

MimiKLM
Active Participant

I don't know why I missed the Reaarrange Cases -> Sort tool.

Yes M_Peeker, that will help a lot.

However, it would be very helpfull to have something like IntelliSense.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.