LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

Let us easily cleanup the Getting Started Window (GSW)

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

The getting started windows fills with irrelevant entries if we open many VIs and projects from the forum. We probably never want to see them again. Also, if items exist that have the same name, but reside in different folders, they will show with the full (often very long!) path and the filename is not directly visible unless we e.g. hover over it or make the window gigantic. Here we want to remove the stale one, even if a copy still exists on disk.

We can currently do some cleanup by editing labview.ini but it is tedious. (just try it!)

I would like to request a feature that allows us to easily and permanently remove any entry in the list.
(...maybe it could even show for pinned entries?)

IDEA: I suggest to show a special glyph that, when clicked would remove that entry from the list.

It could also be e.g. an "X" (or similar) that shows next to the pin when hovering so we can either pin or thrash an entry.

These are just some suggestions, but there should be a way to easily weed out unwanted entries from the GSW. Of course the actual files will not be touched. We would just go back to the state before we opened that item.

Download All
9 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
altenbach
Knight of NI

Thanks. I searched hard to find earlier ideas, but non of those showed up 😞 (maybe should have used google :D)

But....

Link 1 talks about a global clear of the MRU lists. (the comments are along the current idea). No definition what should happen to the pinned items.

Link 2 is a duplicate of link 3 (not really, because it is more similar to my idea than link 3!)

Link 3 talks about an earlier version (LabVIEW 2011) that did not allow pinning (?) and just showed the MRU list.

I let the mods decide if this idea is sufficiently different or a duplicate of one of the above links ...

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast
very good idea. indeed, it would be great! One can dream...
Bob_Schor
Knight of NI

Thanks for posting this.  I Kudoed it, and hope it fares better than my effort (which suffered from a much worse title).

On 5 June 2013, I posted an Idea to Add tool to "safely" edit LabVIEW.ini.  I described precisely wanting to "clean up" the GSW list, and collected a few Kudos (and some nice comments from "Respected Names"), but it was "declined" within a week by NI with the following note:

Status changed to: Declined

Intentionally editable options are exposed in the UI currently and a general configuration file editor is not something NI would include. Specific options you wish us to add to the user interface may be addressed as separate ideas.

I was sufficiently discouraged to just write my own "GSW Entries" that allows you to selectively remove GSW Entries, showing you a list of your installed LabVIEW Versions first so you can "choose" which GSW to modify.

Bob Schor

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Norbert_B
Proven Zealot

Reminds me on this.

Nice that it is in development now!

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. There is a 'Remove' button next to each project in the Recent list.

Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: New

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
d.w.b