LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TiTou

Let me work on a project B while project A is building

Yes, even now in the 21th century some of us cannot use virtual machines for compiling their EXEs.

And anyway why is it that when project A is building my EXE i can't use LabVIEW anymore... I would expect that only project A can't be edited but I'd be free to work on project B in the same LabVIEW version.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

5 Comments
PNR

As project A as well as project B might (and will) depend on shared resources (vi.lib, user.lib, etc...), changes in project B could potentially effect the build of project A. But there is a possible solution: make a copy of the entire dependency tree for project A to build while project B could be changed without any effects on the build of project A. The build process currently works on the source files directly.

Whatever might be necessary to support parallel build processes, I too think this should be possible one way or another (even if a copy of the dependency tree is the first step). My favorite would be something like OBS (OpenSUSE Build Service), where multiple projects are build simultaneously, based on specific revisions from GIT (at least this is how I understand it). We don't have to take it that far, but the principle sounds very nice to me.

I hope NI takes the challange, even though I would miss the times I had to browse the web while building my applications...

Nice drawing btw ^^

Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast
garrettmarsh

image credit

http://xkcd.com/303/

Darren
Proven Zealot
TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

oh... hadn't seen the original idea, sorry.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons