From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neil.Pate

Lazy-load shortcut menu, but not as lazy as is currently done.

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Wen LabVIEW starts it tries to not do everything immediately so that the startup can be as fast as possible, this is great.

However, one of the things it appears to lazy-load is the shortcut (i.e. right-click) menu. Very often I will have had LabVIEW open for some reasonable period of time (minutes, hours etc) and then I will need to do an operation that is easiest via the shortcut menu. Currently this causes LabVIEW to load all the relevant menu options the first time, and it can take a few seconds even on a fast PC. Subsequent operations are virtually instantaneous. 

I propose that the short-cut menu options get loaded in the background automatically some time after LabVIEW has started. This could be something like a minute or so and I would probably never notice it.

Note I use the word "load", I do not really know what is going on behind the scenes, but from the sluggish nature I presume there is some disk access going on the first time it is created. Substitute the word "load" word with whatever feels more appropriate (initialise?).

3 Comments
drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

I wondered if it is loading all the probes that is slow.  It is annoying.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Yes, it is mostly custom probes.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.